Yes, EPA has created a multi-media package to assist companies in getting their compliance on track. It is designed with smaller companies in mind, but companies of every size will find toolboxsomething of use within the Hazardous Substances Toolbox. Best of all, it’s free!
Yes, you must have Approved Handlers for LPG if you are storing it at a gas station (or refuelling station), which includes small 9kg bottles in Swap-A-Bottle cages. What you do not need to be is an Approved Filler, which is an entirely different certification.
Not at all. While HSNO is based on UN Regulations for transporting Dangerous Goods, Hazardous Substances extend a little further beyond those parameters so it’s possible to have a hazardous substance that isn’t considered DG. For example, a skin irritant is not a Dangerous Good, but it is a Hazardous Substance under HSNO.
Easy: If it’s being imported or is being manufactured in New Zealand, it needs approval. The EPA and ACVM approval processes can be a bit difficult to navigate or understand, but our consultants are well versed in the details and are ready to help.
No, a Dangerous Goods licence is specifically for transport and we do not deal with transport training. Sometimes people say “Dangerous Goods licence” when they mean “Approved Handler Certificate”, so you may want to double check to ensure you (and whoever gave you the idea) are looking for the right certification.
No, as long as you are not dealing with any new hazardous substances and your certificate has not expired, you are still certified to be an Approved Handler. The certificate is yours, not the company’s, and goes where you go. Note that the details on the certificate are based on the time when you underwent the certification and any changes (like employer or home address) are best made when you get it renewed.
Yes. Whether it’s 1 person or 1000, any company that stores, uses, or disposes of any hazardous substance must be compliant with HSNO. We understand that smaller companies don’t necessarily have the funds to get everything fixed immediately, but with our help we can get you started with the most important issues and come up with an action plan to get you on the road to compliance without breaking the bank.
The audit involves coming to your site, looking over appropriate documentation, talking with people in charge of or involved with the hazardous substances, walking through the site, and making note of any gaps in compliance. Then we can compile a report which will inform you about what needs to be replaced or implemented like signs, certification, documentation, segregation, etc.
HSNO, or the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996, is the legislation that governs the safe use, storage, and disposal of any substance that poses a significant hazard to people, property, and/or the environment.
A Location Test Certificate certifies that the company it’s issued to is abiding by all the controls set in place for the quantity and types of hazardous substances they’re storing and using. This is normally for Classes 1-5 as the location itself needs to be considered when storing hazardous substances that can affect property. TCC (NZ) Ltd doesn’t certify locations. Instead, we work with other Test Certifiers who are capable of issuing Location Test Certificates but prefer to leave the Approved Handler work to us. Drop us a line and we can get you in contact with someone local who is willing to help you.
Simply, it is a list of all Hazardous substances on the worksite, regardless of their use (or lack thereof), and must include maximum quantities and the substances HSNO code string. The Inventory informs Enforcement/Health and Safety officers of the hazards present on the site and allows the Test Certifier to make sure every control is being accounted for.
NZ compliant SDS’s have information that is relevant to our country: HSNO codes, contact details for suppliers/importers/manufacturers, emergency numbers, and appropriate regulatory information. A foreign SDS may still be useful but without the NZ information, safety and accountability are impaired. It’s a simple process to update them and we can help with that.
Yes, a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) is the same as a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) – the ‘Material’ part is superfluous and thus being phased out. If you have any Hazardous Substances on your worksite (including retail), then you are required to give your employees access to the substances’ SDS. They must be NZ compliant and be accessible in less than 10 minutes. Electronic copies are fine, but it’s even better to have hard copies available

  • Copyright © 2016 Technical Compliance Consultants (NZ) Ltd
  • Designed By Crescentek